Saturday, January 23, 2010

Recipe - Whole Wheat Carrot Zucchini Cake

I decided to use my last zucchini and the last of my carrots to make a cake.  I haven't made a cake in... A really long time.  And never have I done so from scratch, but it felt very natural for me to make this cake. 
Here is the original recipe from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures.  







Whole Wheat Carrot Zucchini Cake
4 eggs
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/3 cups vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups drained applesauce
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp hazelnut liquor (homemade, by my aunt; this is optional I just wanted to use it because I like the flavor.)
2-1/2 cups total flour (I used 1 1/4 cups whole wheat, and 1 1/4 cups all purpose)
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (instead of 1 teaspoon ground cloves,1 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg )
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups finely shredded carrots
2 cups finely shredded zucchini
1 small package slivered almonds (about 1 cup; optional, I added them instead of the original walnuts because I like almonds better, and walnuts from the store usually have BHT in them, which is a preservative that I just don't like.)
Cream cheese frosting; I used Neufchatel cheese instead of cream cheese because it is usually less expensive, and is lower in fat than cream cheese, and just has a slightly different flavor.  
Directions:
In a large bowl beat eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and hazelnut liquor until frothy. Gradually beat in oil and apple sauce. Combine dry ingredients; whisk together in a separate bowl; add to batter slowly. Beat 4 minutes. Stir in carrots, zucchini and almonds. Pour into two greased 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for about 35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans. Cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
When completely cool frost with my cream cheese frosting, then cut and serve.
(I did copy and paste this recipe from Lynn's blog, but edited it where mine was different.  Thank you, Lynn for this recipe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Feel free to comment, but please keep it tasteful and respectful. I will read and approve each comment. Spam will, of course, be deleted. Thank you again!