Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chicken Adobo and Caramelized Celeriac

Picture Via: OrganicToBe.org Puree of Celeriac Recipe

Tuesday night I made up some chicken adobo from this recipe on AllRecipes.com.  I changed it a bit, added some things and did a few things differently, as I usually do in order to fit my tastes (and Jeff's) and what is in my kitchen at the time.

If you don't know, Filipino adobo is really really good.  The End. No, really.  It refers to slow cooking with vinegar, which inhibits bacteria growth.  I use less vinegar because I don't like it TOO vinegary, but you can use as much as you want!

Chicken Adobo
4.5 lbs chicken drumsticks (12 drumsticks)
2 cups water
1.5 cups chicken stock
0.5 cups apple cider vinegar
0.25 to 0.5 cups low sodium soy sauce (depends on taste)
1 tbsp brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, chopped (umm, we love garlic!)
half of an onion (doesn't matter what kind, I use yellow)
1 tsp freshly ground peppercorns (I buy the whole ones in a grinder thingy)
2 large bay leaves, 1 small bay leaf (I like bay leaf)
1 tsp ginger powder (or fresh ginger)
Rosemary Salt to taste (from EllieBlueBell)

Put chicken into a large pot. (I have no idea how big the pot I have is, no it isn't stamped on the bottom.)  Combine liquids, sugar, garlic, pepper, ginger, and salt together and mix (in a bottle, bowl or just throw it all in the pot and stir together).  Pour over chicken.  Turn the heat on to medium high.  Add bay leaves.  You want to boil it for about 5 mins, then turn it down to a simmer and simmer until the meat begins falling off the bones.  Serve over rice, with some of the liquid to flavor the rice with the tasty goodness of adobo.


Caramelized Celeriac
1 - 2 celeriac (celery root), cut into bit size pieces, with the outer skin removed/peeled
1/2 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
Rosemary Salt (to taste)
Olive Oil

Heat the oil until 'shimmering.'  Cook the onion and garlic a little, then toss in the celeriac.  Toss until all pieces have oil on them.  Cook for about 30 mins or so, turning every once in a while, allowing all sides and pieces to get that lovely brown caramelized goodness on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Feel free to comment, but please keep it tasteful and respectful. I will read and approve each comment. Spam will, of course, be deleted. Thank you again!