Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Unicorns Everywhere!

Unicorns!!! Hooray!


 Something took hold of me last weekend, and I had to make these adorable little unicorns. I mean fierce. Totally fierce unicorns. (They get kinda huffy if you call them adorable.) 

I draw them onto paper, glue the paper down to clean metal, cut them out with my saw. 

Like this: 

Tangent: My amazing friend Dana, proprietress of Urban Utopia Photography, is super fun, wonderful to get along with, and just all around fun. I had hired her for my wedding photography in September 2014 and also boudoir photos last year for Valentine's Day. Dana provides the most comforting, beautiful and relaxed environment for these shoots and is an absolute pleasure to work with. 
Oh look, we're adorable, and drink coffee!
One of our engagement photos.
 (C) Urban Utopia Photography

 Unicorns, woman!

 Right, unicorns!! These are sterling silver, except the pinback which it nickle. The clutch is stainless steel, and pulls open to release the nickle pinstem. It's about a half inch long, and will likely snag your nice silk, so try something with a heavy weft, denim or something you know you won't be taking it off of any time soon.


The "C(star)B" is my maker's mark (for now), the 16 refers to the year it was made, and .925 is the hallmark noting that it is indeed sterling silver, which must be at least 92.5% fine silver, with the remaining amount consisting of copper. Poor alloys will include other metals like tin, zinc or nickle, but mine come from recycled, certified alloyed in the USA sources, so they do NOT contain any of those nasty metals that most people are allergic to (mainly nickle).

I've applied a patina using liver of sulphur gel and used steel wool to remove it selectively. These are $86 each, please ask me about getting a pair of earrings made! These make great post earrings, too. 
Find me over on Instagram @handcraftedcaro for more pictures of different unicorn designs (plus gratuitous selfies)! I'm going to try to do photos this weekend. Hubby and I are babysitting the little sister this week, so no studio time this weekend! 

Don't forget that the entire WISHES section of the Etsy shop is 30% off for a limited time until February 6th! 
Enjoy!! <3 br="" nbsp="">

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Feel free to comment, but please keep it tasteful and respectful. I will read and approve each comment. Spam will, of course, be deleted. Thank you again!